August 18, 2017 by T. Gregory Argall
Try to be nice to each other.
For the last three and a half years I’ve used that phrase at the end of each blog posting, every week.
It’s a fairly simple request. Try to be nice to each other. It should be something that your parents taught you when you were young. Be nice. Get along with others. Don’t be an asshole. These are all things that every parent should teach every child.
But some parents, for reasons I will never understand, teach their children the complete opposite of those ideas. They teach their children to hate. And those children grow up to be adults who hate. Hate the government, hate the neighbours, hate the world, hate anyone who is different than them. That’s a lot of hate. Takes a lot of effort. It must be exhausting being that filled with hate.
Why would anyone do that to their child? Why would you teach a child to hate?
Here is a partial list of things that have been done so far this year by people who were taught to hate:
- January 2017: Over 40 Jewish centers in the U.S. receive bomb threats.
- January 1, 2017: 19-year-old Nathan Richardson encounters 67-year-old jogger Wenqing Xu and beats him to death in an unprovoked, random attack. After committing the murder, Richardson texted his friends that he “fucked sum chink up. Bodied him. I think pure crime scene – his head’s gone,”
- January 20, 2017: A right-wing extremist shoots a protestor at a Milo Yiannopoulos event at the University of Washington.
- January 25, 2017: An arsonist destroys the only mosque in Victoria, Texas.
- January 28, 2017: a First Nations woman walking with her sister is struck by a trailer hitch hurled from a passing vehicle. After struggling in hospital for several months, she succumbs to her injuries.
- January 29, 2017: Alexandre Bissonnette walks into a mosque in Canada during evening prayers and opens fire, shooting 17 people and killing six of them.
- February 21, 2017: a 24-year-old transgender woman is shot and killed in Chicago, IL.
- February 22, 2017: Adam Purinton tells two men from India to “get out of my country” then shoots both plus a bystander, killing one.
- February 26, 2017: a transgender woman is shot and killed in New Orleans, LA.
- February 28, 2017: a mosque in Toronto is set on fire by arsonists.
- March 1, 2017: a transgender woman is stabbed to death in New Orleans, LA.
- March 3, 2017: A Sikh man is shot and injured in front of his Seattle house by a white man wearing a mask, who yells at him to “go back to your country!”
- March 12, 2017: a mosque in Ypsilanti, MI. is set on fire by arsonists.
- March 20, 2017: James Jackson arrives in Manhattan with a sword and stabs the first black man he sees to death. He later tells authorities he “intended to kill as many black men as he could.”
- March 22, 2017: a 38-year-old transgender woman is shot and killed in Baltimore, MD.
- March 24, 2017: Yelling “I hate Muslims!” a man in Minneapolis stabbed a Somali man in an attempt to kill him.
- March 26, 2017: A racist mob attacks a 15-year-old Polish boy in Gloucestershire and, when a local Asian shopkeeper tries to intervene, attack him as well with crowbars and baseball bats, then attempt to run him over with a car.
- March 31, 2017: A 17-year-old Iranian/Kurdish boy is nearly beaten to death by a mob of eight people in Croydon after he revealed to them that he was a refugee.
- April 6, 2017: A Charlotte store is set on fire by an arsonist who leaves a warning message for the shop owner that he “did not want any refugee business owners and that they would torture the owner if they did not leave and go back to where they came from,” according to police. It was signed “White America.”
- April 21, 2017: a 28-year-old transgender woman is shot and killed in Miami, FL.
- April 30, 2017: A white man storms a pool party in San Diego and shoots four black women, two black men, and one Latino man while allowing white attendees to leave. One victim dies while the other six sustain critical injuries.
- May 5, 2017: A man walking his dog on South Beach in Miami is confronted by two men who call him a “fucking faggot,” then attack him, beating him unconscious. At one point in the attack, one of the attackers shouts, “all faggots need to die and we’re going to make sure they do!”
- May 14, 2017: Vandals spray-paint hate graffiti on the home of a black family in upstate New York before attempting to set the house on fire while the family slept. Although the family escaped unscathed, their garage burnt to the ground and their house suffered some damage.
- May 17, 2017: A homophobic mob break into the home of a gay couple and shoot and stab both men to death.
- May 17, 2017: a 34-year-old transgender woman is shot and killed in Fresno, CA.
- May 20, 2017: University of Maryland student and member of the “alt-Reich” Facebook group Sean Urbanski walks up to 22-year-old Richard Collins III, who is black and who Urbanski does not know, and stabs him to death in an unprovoked attack.
- May 24, 2017: A barrage of doxxing, rape threats, and death threats received by trans comic book artist Sophie Labelle forces her to cancel an appearance and event at a Halifax book store, which also received bomb threats and threats of attacking the event. Labelle is forced into hiding.
- May 26, 2017: Three men intervene on a MAX train in Portland when they witness another man verbally abusing two Muslim women with an Islamophobic tirade. The Islamophobe responds by pulling out a knife and stabs the three interveners, killing two of them.
- May 27, 2017: A white man drives his pickup truck through a campsite, targeting the Native Americans camping there while yelling racial slurs at them. He intentionally drives over two Native American men, killing one and injuring the other.
- May 27, 2017: A 34-year-old Anthony Hammond lets loose with a flurry of racial slurs directed at a black man in a parking lot, then pulls out a machete and stabs the man before barricading himself in his apartment for several hours, until finally surrendering to police.
- June 1, 2017: A Princeton professor and minority woman is forced to cancel a three-city lecture tour to promote her book about the Black Lives Matter movement after receiving over 50 death threats.
- June 3, 2017: 38-year-old white supremacist Phillip Wade racially abuses a 57-year-old black man on an Oakley, CA. bus, then pulls a knife and stabs the man to death while the man is walking away from the confrontation. The victim is the third minority person Wade has stabbed in the past six years and the second person he’s murdered.
- June 18, 2017: two men armed with baseball bats attack a group of Muslim teenagers, kidnapping a 17-year-old girl, who they beat to death, dumping her body in a pond.
- June 19, 2017: Shouting “I’m going to kill all Muslims!” 47-year-old Darren Osborne drives a courier van through a crowd of Muslims leaving a Finsbury mosque, killing one person and injuring ten others.
- June 21, 2017: an Islamophobe approaches a Muslim man and woman sitting in a car stopped at a traffic light and knocks on the window. When the driver rolls down the window, the Islamophobe sprays the driver and passenger with acid, severely burning both.
- July 2, 2017: a 28-year-old transgender woman is shot and killed in Lynchburg, VA.
- July 16, 2017: A man attempts to pull the hijab off of a Muslim woman waiting for the tube in London, then hits her when she resists. He then pins her friend to the wall and spits in her face before leaving.
- July 16, 2017: Arsonists set a mosque in Manchester ablaze.
- July 18, 2017: A NASA researcher of South Asian descent has her car windshield shattered by a rock thrown through it by an assailant screaming “go back to your country!” She’s injured in the attack.
- July 19, 2017: Two men exit a car and attack a minority pedestrian with their fists and an iron bar.
- August 5, 2017: A mosque in Bloomington, Minnesota is firebombed, narrowly missing killing & injuring dozens of members there for morning prayers.
- August 8, 2017: A well-known Chicago neo-nazi starts an altercation at a concert, then pulls out a smuggled knife and stabs a man and a woman at the show.
- August 12, 2017: A white supremacist in Charlottesville, VA. drives his car at high speed directly into a crowd of anti-racist protesters, killing one woman and seriously injured 19 other people.
Try to be nice to each.